Each year, a select number of outstanding young musicians with disabilities, ages 14-25, are recognized by the VSA International Young Soloists Competition. These emerging musicians from around the world receive a $2,500 prize, professional development activities, and the opportunity to perform at the Kennedy Center. If you or someone you know is interested in applying for the 2016 VSA International Young Soloists Award, check out these application tips before submitting your entry:
- Upload high quality, live recordings. Professional recordings are not necessary. Video recordings are recommended but not required. If you are using accompaniment, it should be live and not pre-recorded.
- Submit pieces that showcase your proficiency as a musician. Please choose selections focusing on your primary instrument regardless of whether you play multiple instruments.
- Variety is encouraged. We encourage you to submit selections by different composers showcasing facility with different styles or eras of music.
- This award is for excellence in performance, not songwriting or composition. Original compositions may be submitted, but will not augment your score. Select pieces that showcase your technical skill, artistry, and musicianship as a performer.
- Carefully review all elements of your application before submission. Applicants will not be notified if components of their application are missing.
You can find more information about the 2016 VSA International Young Soloists Competition on the Kennedy Center’s website. Application materials should be submitted no later than February 10, 2016. Questions about the VSA International Young Soloists Program can be sent to VSAinfo@kennedy-center.org.